The Club

The League's Clubhouse
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:41 am 
Archivist

I am bored with our usual salads but salad is what is on the menu tonight so I have decided to do a cheese ploughman's.

The best I ever had was at a pub in Lincolnshire. Home-made pickles with slabs of good mature cheddar and home-made plum bread. It was delicious.

What would constitute the best cheese ploughman's for the members of this establishment?

Sam

http://quantumcoyote.com
"Ya'd think we could just attracts ants, like normal people."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:30 pm 
Incorrigible Member

I hate the fiddly things they sell in holiday tourist traps. A good ploughmans is fresh baked bread, in large lumps, maybe 2 good cheeses, I'd suggest a Cheddar with the crunchy crystals in the middle, like one we had to keep outdoors the other Christmas (It stank worse than that French stuff which reminds one of a urinal!) and a serious Blue Stilton. The other necessities are a lot of butter and a good onion. Wash it down with a decent beer. I'm currently into Brampton Brewery Impy Dark. :c+tongue:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:20 pm 
Man of the Chair

A great lump of cottage loaf, cheddar that burns, pickled shallots, picallili, really good tomatoes that smell all greenhousey still...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:50 pm 
Erect Member

Ploughmans is my favourite dinner in the middle of a ride. And I've seen some grand ones. And a terrifying number of deeply inadequate ones.

Gotta have a big chunk of home-made bread. And enough butter, FFS! Cheese - ideally a couple, but I'd plump for a Lancashire as the ideal. Yes, Wensleydale is my favourite, but can be a bit dry in quantity - and it just has to be quantity, and the creaminess of a farmhouse Lancashire is just right.

Pickled onions seem like a good idea, but they tend to get left. A bit of pickled beetroot is something I'd not generally choose to eat otherwise, but hell yes with a Ploughmans!

Pickles/chutneys - not too sweet, but can be a mite vinegary all too often. Home made chutneys ftw.

Salad has to be simple. No fancy lettuces. Rocket is right out. Crunchy, though. Limp lettuce can spoil the whole thing. Bit of tomato, but going easy, I think (but I'm not right fond of them anyway). I'm always pleasantly surprised when some celery appears.

Apple on the plate? Eh? I like apples, don't get me wrong, but, by the time they've been sliced, arranged, and transported to the table, they're getting a bit oxidised.

Opinionated, moi?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:53 pm 
Man of the Chair

Ooh, I forgot the apple. A nice late Cox.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:54 pm 
Upstanding Member

I raise your Cox an Ashmead's Kernel :wink:

Crusty bread - check
Hard cheese (cheddar/Lancashire/Caerphilly - NO bits!!) - check
Butter - optional
Chutney - ideally home made; points deducted for Branston pickle
Salad - tomato only; greenery streng verboten (even rocket, which while great in a cheese sandwich, has - as clarion points out - not place in a ploughman's lunch)
Pickled onions - optional, but must be small and pickled in "proper" brown pickling vinegar (no peely-wally silvery shallots please)

Err, that's it. Points deducted for any other ingredients.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:55 pm 
Right Honourable Member

The Mark Addy pub in Salford used to do amazing ploughman's. They had a huge range of cheeses and you could choose which ever one you wanted. All the same price, so if you went for one of the exoctics you got less, whereas the students would go for the cheddar (and extra bread) and share one between two.

The important ingredients are:

Good strong cheese (cheddar or Stilton)
Enough bread
decent pickle, preferably home made

All the rest, however pleasant, is but garnish...

S