The Club

The League's Clubhouse
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I'd just like to say
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:27 pm 
Archivist

I still hate running.

Well, "hate" is a strong word, especially on a glorious evening like today's, plodding along the Esplanade at Silverknowes with the sun setting behind the bridges and shining off the water 8) .

But it would have been even more pleasant if I hadn't dressed for much colder temperatures and my feet weren't starting to blister because they haven't recovered from last weekend yet :disapprove: .

Sam

http://quantumcoyote.com
"Ya'd think we could just attracts ants, like normal people."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:42 pm 
Erect Member

No, 'hate' is a good word in realtion to running. Running is something that the bod of fatbirdonabike cannot handle.. the bazoomas get in the way.. amongst other wobbly bits

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:33 pm 
The Beloved Provost

Running is just rubbish really. If you hate your feet and knees that much, hit them with hammers from the comfort of an armchair.
My hatred of running is one reason (of many) that I would never try tri.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:58 pm 
Honourable Member

I am not looking forward to tomorrow.

Mrs Nutty has decided that running is the way forward, so has set the alarm clock...

I am to be awoken at stupid o'clock (bear in mind an hour was stolen last night) so we can go for a jog, before I shower and then cycle to work. Also bear in mind that I've been not surfacing before about 09:00 recently (my lunch hour at work is now 09:00 to 10:00 :oops: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:14 am 
Man of the Chair

Eventually your feet get tough, RB. Took mine about a year... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:45 am 
Upstanding Member

Chuffy wrote:
Running is just rubbish really. If you hate your feet and knees that much, hit them with hammers from the comfort of an armchair.
My hatred of running is one reason (of many) that I would never try tri.

*snap*

(That's an agreement, not my knees by the way - although I do have a dodgy knee and it takes very badly indeed to running)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:18 pm 
I haven't done any running in at least 10 years. I used to enjoy it, as a kid, but went off it when I ripped the ligaments of my left foot fairly comprehensively on a tree root... (I was orienteering, okay?)

Not sure I'm wild about going back to it, which is possibly why I hesitate in the ambitions around Tri... I really like the swimming, quite like the cycling (even though I'm unfit and need to improve), but the running does give me pause.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:20 pm 
Honourable Member

Tried running. Found it really dangerous compared to cycling: all those pavement cyclists and pavement car parkers - walking I seem to have no trouble getting out the way, but while running I seem incapable of sudden direction changes without ending up in a quivering heap: my technique is just to fix my eyes on some landmark up ahead and run towards it trying to shut out the pain and everything else as I go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:52 pm 
Upstanding Member

Running's a mug's game. Unless in random vague-circles on the beach, that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:40 pm 
Chief Engineer

At work, we have recently completed a John O groats to Lands End charidee chalenge. Teams of 5 racking up the miles on treadmills, rowing machines and gym bikes in the school gym. At least 10% running, mile row at designated points where the route crossed rivers.

... at least that was the idea - because ther were so many teams wanting to use the 2 bikes, they allowed road miles. :P

The English dept asked me to join their team, and I appeared on their team list as The Stig. :twisted:

we were limited to 100 miles per week for the first 6 weeks :evil: , and then it was a race to the finish - which is why I put in 50 miles before work one morning.

Anyway - the point is that I really struggled to get miles in on the treadmill. I couldn't stick more than a couple of miles before taking a break, but I could have pedalled the gym bikes as long as I could stave off the boredom.

Our catering manager, who is a marathon runner, was the opposite. He couldn't hack more than 6 miles on the bike at a time.

So it all depends on what discipline you have trained yourself to do. In my early 20's I used to run 6 miles to go swimming in an evening, and run back, yet I couldn't do it now unless I built up to it over a period of time.

So Sam, if you want the running to get easier, then keep running. You probably know that already.

The gym bikes don't give a realistic picture of road miles, by the way. I could do sub 17 minute 10 milers on the gym bikes :shock: I wish I could do that on the road. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:15 pm 
Honourable Member

I can remember when I was in the R.A.F. we used to do some pretty hefty physical stuff. I remember doing a 12 mile cross country in full camouflage kit, boots and all, and carrying the full backpack kit. I acme 2nd out of 110! Now I couldn't run to the door if there was a fire in the flat! Cycling... I am slow but have managed a 94 mile day with all the camping equipment in the Lake District. As Wobbleski says, it is what you're used to and trained for.