The Club

The League's Clubhouse
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DIY audax
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:39 pm 
That's *Mr* 86 to you

Somehow I managed to pedal my way around a 300k DIY audax on Friday. It was a bit over-distance, too. The weather was gloriously sunny, but it was cold (snow at altitude) and a breeze which made cycling tough. A DIY is a good way to do a ride from home – I don’t often get the chance to travel to organised rides. Although during and after the ride I categorically stated, “Never again!” I’m now scheming a 400k route! As our chairman (probably) once said, tis a slippery slope… If anybody’s up this way and would like to do a longer ride, we could maybe arrange to ride it as a wee group.

Post subject: Re: DIY audax
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:55 pm 
I am so not worthy..

I can't even imagine cycling 300k! :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:15 pm 
Incorrigible Member

300K.... that's 186m in real money :claps:
My record is 115m, but that was with camping gear down the spine of England. It took 17 hours. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:18 pm 
That's *Mr* 86 to you

That’s praise indeed, coming as it does from my heroine!

I don’t know about being worthy. I feel inadequate whenever I attempt a long-ish ride, especially when rubbing shoulders with hairy audaxers on the start line. At least doing a DIY on my own meant the only thing to intimidate me was the sheer distance and the hilly-ish terrain. After feeling weary all afternoon (I felt like doing ‘A Chairman’ – ie falling asleep at the handlebars), I reached Lairg at 5pm in dire need of rescue! However, my potential saviour (AKA brother) was otherwise engaged, so despite the leg-locking cramp, I knew I was on my own and that the only option was to set off on the final 100+k and count off the miles whilst trying to shove thoughts of the next major climb to the back of my head. I’ll spare you the details of standing in a deserted market square with the temperature dropping below zero while I gnawed a waxy Mars bar and squirted caffeinated Lucozade down my throat.

I could have absolutely murdered a pot of tea and a fruit cake or two! The craving has persisted ever since, and I’m almost tempted to dig out the hand mixer and make one, as I still haven’t managed to find a café selling them.

If you’re a reasonable rider (able to ride 20 miles without too much bother) then I’m sure you’d be able to manage a 200k or 300k. I find the hardest part is the mental ‘strength’ to keep going. Although I always struggle, I like to think of a 200k as being a ‘nice day out on the bike’ and a 300k as ‘a longer day out on the bike’. Personally, 400k is when things start to get really miserable. I’ve only ridden one 600k, and that was okay for the first 400k where I stopped for a bath, sleep, and change of clothes, but the last 200k were a real struggle.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:26 pm 
That's *Mr* 86 to you

Heretic wrote:
300K.... that's 186m in real money :claps:
My record is 115m, but that was with camping gear down the spine of England. It took 17 hours. :oops:

Thanks, Heretic! My ride was a bit over distance - officially 309k, but actually a bit further. It took just over 16 hours, if my maths is correct. It included the climbs north of Ullapool up to Elphin and Ledmore Junction before turning off to Lairg and then back down over the Struie Hill.

However, 115miles with full camping gear is something else again!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:34 pm 
Yep, the camping gear makes him a full on filthy perv! :mrgreen: 8) :wink:

Himself and I are agreed that this year we will be getting in a few more miles than our idle *rses managed last year.. I am to replace thighs of pure butter with thighs of steel before summer is out! :mrgreen:

Not in time for the Dumb Run, though, if I'm smart! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:52 pm 
Oooh and I will remember about the translation of 20m to 200m... thank you for the encouragement!

I hope you're right! In fairness and acknowledgement, I did do almost 100m in half a day on the total flat in Lincolnshire without really feeling either tired or wasted the following day.

Tis just the hills I am be totally rubbish at! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:50 pm 
That's *Mr* 86 to you

Does that mean we’ll have the company of Monsewer and Maddam Pagan on the Dumb Run this year? I’m not sure about thighs of steel or butter, but if you turn up at the start there’ll be chicken thighs all round…!

I never think I’m much of a cyclist, but I suppose I’m not too bad on the hills. I’d never done any really long rides – I think maybe a couple of 60-milers over the years, but when I got back into cycling I built up to doing 20-miles most nights. It’s not particularly, but it can be windy. Anyway, I then saw a local 400k audax advertised, and turned up at the start line! I was doing fine until late afternoon when two or three of us stopped for a breather and someone said, “Well, that’s us half way!” Suddenly, I was overcome with weariness! I struggled back to the control at 300k, but my bed in the Youth Hostel was only four miles from there, and I just couldn’t face going out into the rain for another 100k! It just shows that as long as they’re fairly fit anyone can do a 200k, although I’d recommend starting with a summer ride, preferably in good weather, and one that’s not too hilly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:00 am 
Honourable Member

16hrs is good for a 300 I usually take about 17-18.
Yes it is addictive :shock: I did a Norwich - York 423km one last weekend, will do a 300 this weekend and have 2 x400, 2x600 and as many 200s as I can get in before mid July when I'm off to the Netherlands for a 1200.
I hope to do better than last years LEL ride.
Wish me luck :grin:

Rich

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:50 am 
Rich: Chapeau! The ambitions all sound fab, so I hope you make it.

Dum Run?? Moi??? :faint: :shock: I think if I check my calendar carefully, we are out of the country at the time.. 8) As for M Pagan? That'll be Softwaresorcerer to you! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:40 pm 
Incorrigible Member

Full On Filthy Perv...er guilty :wink:
Thighs of butter, yum yum! :c+tongue: :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:53 am 
That's *Mr* 86 to you

Rich is a real audaxer! I just dabble…

I hope your training goes well, Rich, and that you have a successful ride in the Netherlands. Keep us posted!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:34 pm 
Honourable Member

I started as a dabbler, it's addictive :wink:
I did 311km in the end yesterday and as for my 16-17hrs usual time I got around in 15 with only 11.40 cycling :shock: I have an unhealthy urge for food today :grin: