The Club

The League's Clubhouse
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:03 am 
Incorrigible Member

The annual overnighter hit the road at 1-30 am, with bright moonlight to the south and a midnight glow to the north.
5 of us slogged up the 4 1/2 mile, 700ft climb onto the moors, looked back at the Chesterfield illuminations, gritted our teeth and headed west. It was one of those odd June nights where the tops of rises were warm & any hollows froze the ends off the riders' fingers. Good job I remembered the gardening gloves then!
Approaching the top of Curbar Gap there was a growling noise from behind and a well known camper van went past - mate John in Hermann the German on his way to brew the tea at the top of Eyam Moor. Someone nicked his bike, or at least that's the excuse. There was an owl silhouetted against the pre-dawn glow over White Edge and the worlds fastest badger tried to race the bikes down Curbar. I was keeping the brakes on so the rest of the party could have the benefit of the miners lamps going down the hill (this road is used in the national hillclimb championships some years) when I heard a scratching noise on my left side, looking down the badger was keeping pace at 25mph+ until it dived into a gateway. :-k
Sir William Hill was its usual swine of a self, starting very steep and gradually slackening - just enough to keep you interested but not enough to let the pain subside in the legs, and it goes on forever. ](*,) At least the tea & malt loaf was waiting and the North East horizon was still clear, though the moon was now clouded out. A yomp over the moor along an overgrown hollow way put us in the stone circle with 6 others, all long standing regulars (I've been doing this run annually for 30 years now :oops: ) and the sunrise was spectacular, someone threw the light switch at 04-48 and the first flash went "ping" at the bottom right hand corner of Higgar Tor. Cue choccy cake and Don's cadging dog. :muff:
Return journey was via Eyam and Stoney Middleton, then tackling Curbar from the very bottom. By now several people were crackered so we walked most of it, anxiously studying the weird cloud patterns approaching from the south. The run across the tops was followed by a 40mph wizz back home, bacon & blackpudd'n sarnies and beer.
Enough. Now it's bed time!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:22 pm 
Man of the Chair

Sounds lovely :) Especially the black pudding and badgers...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:30 pm 
Lady Provost

25mph badger! :badger: