The Club

The League's Clubhouse
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Andy and Chuffy Do A Ten
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:05 am 
Man of the Chair

Been riding since forever but never done a timetrial. How odd. Well, my timetrial cherry is well and truly popped now! We pencilled in tonight for a TT and then the club said we'd have to join, so we sulked and went to play by ourselves.

Chuffy and I hammered our lungs raw on a stretch of B-road from Cowley Bridge to Rewe near Exeter. Ten miles, hot summer evening, light wind. Time trials are simple: one rider against the clock, no interaction with anyone else. Race of Truth, as they say.

We both got away too hard and paid for it by almost blowing up at mile 8-9; I had about fifteen seconds on him at the turnaround but I blew up worse; the two little kicker hills at the end nailed me. In the midway easy stage I was working so hard that even at 22-24mph (a good drying breeze!), my forearms were slick with sweat. In the end I did 27:47, average speed 21.6mph. Chuffy: 27:33, average speed 21.8mph. My goal was the novice standard 30:00 so I'm happy; I was also establishing a baseline so that I know (1) whether I need to work on bike for my sprint triathlons - I can get away with not, and (2) to compare against at the end of the season and in spring.

Good night, all told. Bloody hungry and knackered.