The Club

The League's Clubhouse
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Route help wanted! Embra
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:49 pm 
Archivist

Hey guys.

Start my new job next week. For the first while I'll be commuting from Kirkcaldy to Hermiston Gait.

Obviously I'm not going to do this by car every day. That would be insane. I need to have the car at work for work but I can drive over there first thing on a Monday and leave it there during the week, commuting by bike and train the rest of the time. That's the idea, anyway.

To cut commuting costs, I'm hoping I can cut the train section of my commute down to Kirkcaldy - Inverkeithing and ride from Iverkeithing. But I don't know the route, especially with the new M8 extension in place.

Can anyone advise, please?

Sam

http://quantumcoyote.com
"Ya'd think we could just attracts ants, like normal people."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:14 pm 
Erect Member

Sorry. If you were somewhere sensible, such as Norfolk, I'd be able to assist :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:07 pm 
Waffles... any good at Hertfordshire?? :wink:

Sorry RB - I would guess that Anth and the Embra crew much better equipped than middle aged women from the East of England!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:31 pm 
Erect Member

We must get together for a bike ride, Ms Pagan!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:14 am 
Upstanding Member

Gimme a few minutes, getting a couple of MapMyRide routes done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:41 am 
Upstanding Member

Annoying Hermiston Gait is far to far away to meet up for lunchtime coffee and so on... :(

Anyway. The routes. (I just did them to the Hermison Gait roundabout thingy).

Route One (aka the Sustrans method)
11.64 miles - up and down rolling with some long hills

Over the bridge you turn ito the top of South Queensferry then basically follow the NCN route 1 signs. The bits alongside the A90 are narrow at times, but not that busy.

Into Edinburgh Maybury Road would be more direct, but it's a four lane road (no central reservation so not a dual carriageway) which people absolutely fly down. Drum Brae is a better bet (but note, 'Brae' is there for a reason).

When almost at Hermiston Gait it looks like the road runs out, but there's a 'bus only' route round to the shopping complex bit.

Route two (aka the Airport method)
11.4 miles - not really that hilly

Instead of turning into South Queensferry carry on up the hill to the roundabout and take the first exit. This is the old road that linked to the M8/M9 (you go under the new link twice). Once past the end of the airport the Glasgow Road is busy. There IS a cycle path to the side, but it can be a bit rough, and personally I'd say you might be better dabbling with the traffic.

Once at the big roundabout at the end I'm not entirely sure how you get across to the Gyle roads, but it should be possible somehow! (or carry on to the south side of Drum brae and join the other route).

Where this one goes over the railway line is the South Gyle Station, so there's a flyover bridge to carry the bike across.

All in all Hermiston Gait is a bit of a pain to get to by bike with the road configurations around it...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:39 pm 
Upstanding Member

Ravenbait wrote:
Hey guys.

Start my new job next week. For the first while I'll be commuting from Kirkcaldy to Hermiston Gait.

<snip>

Sam

Hermiston Gait, or Riccarton?

Hmmm, tricky. 3 major-major roads, 2 railways and one airport in the way. Easier (but less fun and more expensive) to get the train to Haymarket and come straight back out along Gorgie Road.

However, there's always more than one way to skin a cat. In addition to Blackpud's suggestions, there seem to be a couple of options, based on a circuit of the airport set out in a Mercat Press route book. I can't vouch for these - reconnaissance will be essential:

Cycle to Crammond via Blackpud's "Sustrans" route. Once over the River Almond, cross the A90 using the Pelican Crossing and cycle south along Cammo Road. The book then says: "use the path all the way to the bypass interchange [this is the Gogar roundabout] where it becomes wider and well-signed. Cycle all the way west to Gogar [c1km] where you will find a bridge over the A8. Take this to Gogar Station Road past teh RBoS headquarters ...". Gogar Station Road brings you out on Calder Road (A71) close to Riccarton - but on the wrong side of it. You'll have to find a way across. But then you're there.

Or: From Dalmeny there's a railway path to Kirkliston to Ratho Station (which takes you over the A8 on another bridge). From there go to Ratho and along the Union Canal path to Gogar Station Road. Probably not an attractive proposition for a winter commute.

Might be worth getting hold of up-to-date SPOKES maps for Edinburgh and West Lothian - I've only got the Edinburgh one handy and it's not much help showing round-airport options.

It's a challenge, right enough ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:12 pm 
Dumbrunner

Despite working about half a mile from the destination on Anth's map, I commute from Slateford, so I can't advise anything from that side, sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:03 pm 
Upstanding Member

We could always just start creating random routes and seeing who can get RB to ride the furthest to work....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:44 pm 
Dumbrunner

I'm sure she'd swiftly twig if the route went via Colinton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:13 pm 
Upstanding Member

We could tell her the Forth Road Bridge had shrunk in the wash and looked remarkably like the Kincardine Bridge now....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:11 pm 
Archivist

:mrgreen:

Bar stewards.

Sam

http://quantumcoyote.com
"Ya'd think we could just attracts ants, like normal people."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:52 pm 
Upstanding Member

An on-road variation on this:

blackpuddinonnabike wrote:
<snip>
Route two (aka the Airport method)
11.4 miles - not really that hilly

Instead of turning into South Queensferry carry on up the hill to the roundabout and take the first exit. This is the old road that linked to the M8/M9 (you go under the new link twice). Once past the end of the airport the Glasgow Road is busy. There IS a cycle path to the side, but it can be a bit rough, and personally I'd say you might be better dabbling with the traffic.

<snip>

might be acceptable? (Caveat: based on a less-than-fully up-to-date OS Sheet 65)

Same as .anth's route as far as the A8 (Glasgow Road) which is a hideous old-fashioned dual carriageway and I've have thought best avoided as much as possible.

Get to Ratho Station on the south side of the A8 - sensible way looks like over the footbridge ½km east of where the minor road from Kirkliston joins.

B7030 Ratho Station (over the M8 ) to Ratho (as for the canal path route). B7030 bends 90° right in Ratho - take next minor road to left (~100m at NT138706ish) out of Ratho to south.

Either: continue to junction with A71 and turn left onto this;

Or: take first left after leaving Ratho and follow minor roads to Hermiston House (NT173701ish) - crossing Union Canal twice - to junction with A71 and turn left onto this.

At Long Hermiston (NT177702) TURN RIGHT on to minor road which is the main access to Riccarton/Heriot Watt (assuming this is in fact your destination).

Otherwise, continue along A71 over the bypass - Hermiston Gait will be to the north.

<edit> my map's *old* - I've just checked the satellite imagery on .anth's MapMyRide and the minor roads cross the M8 another twice. But they're still there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:03 pm 
Upstanding Member

Looks like some -hem- improvements to bits either side of the A8 might be on the cards