The Club

The League's Clubhouse
It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:14 pm 
Upstanding Member

Dear Friends,

It is with sad regret that I offer this bike before you. He's called Bikenstein, he's had over 15 owners between us, he was the bike that first got my into cycling after being given to me for free, he was the first bike for many of those 15 people and in some cases the bike they learnt to ride on. Once they got comfortable and confident they brought their own bikes and the nomadic Bikestein went onto his next journey. Over the years he's been in many different forms, from a fast city slicker to an off road adventurer. He's been to Europe too.

I'd like the tradition to continue. So it's time for me to say farewell to this dear friend.

He is an old Ridgeback Storm/Comet something or other MTB frame made from T6-6061 Aluminium, he's not the lightest of bikes out there, but heck he's got character and can take the rough.

He's got a a bit of surface rust in some places but nothing to worry about, some of the bolts might be stiff but I imagine a bit of WD40 will sort that.

He comes with an Avid Arch Rival rear brake + lever, plus a rear 7 speed shifter of unknown origin. His BB needs replacing. He can take racks and guards and from what I remember is quite comfortable too. I'll supply him with some Spesh branded double chainrings, some DMR type platform pedals and a set of Specialized Nimbus EX tyres. All used but in good working order.

This bike is being offered free, and is collection only from London (Mile End/Bethnal Green). I'd like to see it go to someone just starting out or learning to ride, and would love to see pics throughout it's journey. Those were the conditions when it was given to me, and I quite like the idea of having a legacy for it (yes I do realise it's a bike). But it's a special one having taught so many people to ride.

UPDATE: He might be steel and not alu.

ibrahim wrote:
Anyway, I've got a mildly worn triple cheapo suntour chainset (22,32, 42, I think) and a matching 122.5mm bottom bracket, a cheapo not very worn Shimano Tourney rear derailleur and front shifter to give away to any takers of this fine frame which Sam is being so generous to offer :)