The Club

The League's Clubhouse
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Saddles. Again.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:05 pm 
Upstanding Member

Cue the song:

Woke up this morning... and whilst waiting for the kettle to heat up, ready for coffee No.1 of the day, I glanced at the commuting iron. Something odd there... oh, hang on what's that? eek!

Saddle's split. On the left 'wing' of the saddle, the supporting frame has bust. Don't know how; it's feasible I rode home on it like that on Friday, it was 2100 when I left work, and the cycle racks are in a dark spot, so I wouldn't have seen it.
It's a Terry ladies something-or-other, no hole, soft leather cover with Kevlar anti-scuff corners. Obviously they don't make it any more, so now I have a problem.
Having spent much of the last ten years not riding upright, I don't have the encyclopaedic ( ;) ) pile of saddles that some of you gels have. In fact, short of robbing the MTB, (which I may have to do anyway) I don't have a spare.
Therefore, a reiteration of your recommendations would be nice. I've had a squint at the saddle library thread and got the gist that the Terry Tri Gel, or the Selle Italia seem to be ok. Does that still hold - are you still sitting comfortably? Any other good ones out there that I should try? I need to start my collection. :roll:

Snarking, fester-twister. Speetling along like a trolley with scorches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:44 pm 
Archivist

I'm happy with the Selle Italia Ladies Gel Flow I recovered from Baggy (who finds the Terry Tri much better). It's on my Pompino (don't happen to have a blue one, do ya Bags?)

I'm riding an On One Inbred saddle on my MTB at the moment. Surprisingly comfortable.

As soon as I have some money, I'm going to invest in one of the Selle Anatomica retro-fitted Brooks saddles for Fingal, to replace the Terry Ti Race that's on there at the moment. It's the import duty that's the killer.

What bike is it for?

Sam

http://quantumcoyote.com
"Ya'd think we could just attracts ants, like normal people."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:00 pm 
Upstanding Member

It's for the Orbit Ventura I built up two years ago.

That shot was taken the day it was rideable, but it's developed a bit since then: The saddle in that pic was binned (and given away) almost immediately for the Terry, which has been on it ever since, and a rack and panniers were added. It's largely used for commuting these days, with occasional longer rides.

There's a blue Gel Flow on ebay at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:09 pm 
Archivist

Well, I guess either the Selle Italia or the Terry Tri -- but it's so personal. I couldn't contemplate riding a saddle with no cut-out yet you seem to have found it perfectly okay.

Brooks?

Sam

http://quantumcoyote.com
"Ya'd think we could just attracts ants, like normal people."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:24 pm 
Upstanding Member

Funnily enough I was talking to Tom Benson about that at work a few weeks ago - all his bikes have Brooks. I could pick up a B17 Ladies' version from Evans in Manchester for about £30 with the CTC discount. However, I was thinking of trying a cut-out saddle - the Terry on the MTB is not cut-out but is one of the early ones where the structure was drilled with holes to relieve pressure. That's been perfectly adequate for me, but a cut-out might prove better - it's not a preference, just something I've not tried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:57 pm 
Erect Member

My rear end adores Terry saddles. Specifically the Liberator TiLite on my tourer and the TiLite tracing one on my road bike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:23 pm 
Ravenbait wrote:
I'm happy with the Selle Italia Ladies Gel Flow I recovered from Baggy (who finds the Terry Tri much better). It's on my Pompino (don't happen to have a blue one, do ya Bags?)

I'm riding an On One Inbred saddle on my MTB at the moment. Surprisingly comfortable.

As soon as I have some money, I'm going to invest in one of the Selle Anatomica retro-fitted Brooks saddles for Fingal, to replace the Terry Ti Race that's on there at the moment. It's the import duty that's the killer.

What bike is it for?

Sam

If I remember correctly, Selle will let you try a saddle and RETURN it if it isn't suited. Definitely worth trying out the gel flow, but if you don't like it, you can try others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:09 pm 
Incorrigible Member

The women in my family are awkward blighters :roll: both of them ride mens B17 Standards, and when I bought the wife a Brooks ladies saddle it lasted less than a week, she won't have it near the bike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:43 pm 
Lady Provost

Ravenbait wrote:

Alas, I have no blue one. The blue one is actually a bit of a dull blue, not as nice as they used to be (Betty bike still has her blue Selle Genuine Gel).

The Terry Tri has just a teeny bit more padding round the bot and nose. Unfortunately they don't seem to sell them in the UK at the moment...

My mimsy still feels traumatised at the mere thought of a Brooks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:13 pm 
Upstanding Member

Well, I plunged. Sunday afternoon with nothing better to do (for once), and thinking 'WTF, worst case is I <s>throw</s> give it away and try a different one.' I have gone for the Lady Gel Flow.

First impression is it's ...erm ...different. Very different. I think a certain amount of 'getting used to' is in order.