The Club

The League's Clubhouse
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:13 pm 
Erect Member

Mine is tilted down a little bit, too much is just as uncomfortable as tilted up so there is definately an optimum angle. Having said that I seem to remember seeing a pic of Sam's bike with the nose pointing up. Everyone's tushy is different. Just make sure you go out equipped with an allen key and be prepared to get off and fiddle every so often. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:44 pm 
Archivist

Mine are generally tilted ever so slightly upwards. The saddle on Fingal is tilted so that the front is very much upwards but the bit where I sit is level.

Sam

http://quantumcoyote.com
"Ya'd think we could just attracts ants, like normal people."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:14 pm 
Lady Provost

Mrs Pingu wrote:
Just make sure you go out equipped with an allen key and be prepared to get off and fiddle every so often. :roll:

:D My personal record for on ride adjustments is 4 (sigh).
I usually tilt my saddles down, but after much fiddling about with my new one have discovered it's *much* comfier level, my bum actually seems to be making contact where it's supposed to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:42 pm 
Honourable Member

Yes, having a fiddle is probably a good idea. I shall tilt before I venture forth next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:13 am 
Right Honourable Member

Me too. I need some decent shorts as well though - distances travelled means it's time to get some proper cycling gear I think. Comfort would be much enhanced! I can't blame everything on the saddle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:52 am 
Man of the Chair

I wonder if I could just bump this thread back to life. I have a lady friend wot does triathlons and is having a hell of a time finding the Benevolent Cloud. Mind if I introduce her to the Sorority?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:24 pm 
Upstanding Member

Can I just add that I have a huge SellRoyal Ergogel Plus. which I don't mind being passed around.

After having the delicious Peli sitting on it, it was closely examined by Zipperhead and Dr Mojo, who came to the conclusion that it had excellant structure, a good riding position, a comfy feel and soft warm finishing, and that was just Peli.

Couple with evidence from some of my other lady friends, it's particulary suited to pregnant women.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:42 pm 
Archivist

AndyGates wrote:
I wonder if I could just bump this thread back to life. I have a lady friend wot does triathlons and is having a hell of a time finding the Benevolent Cloud. Mind if I introduce her to the Sorority?

Introduce away, good sir. You know you don't have to ask!

Sam

http://quantumcoyote.com
"Ya'd think we could just attracts ants, like normal people."

Post subject: Re: Saddle library
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:21 pm 
Upstanding Member

Bump TTT.

I've worn out another Selle Italia. *bah*

Saddle is straight and level, but my hips aren't. This is a 'known fault,' related to the sacro-iliac problem I have. The saddles always wear out in the same place, right-hand side, between the nose and the 'wing' just where it starts to flare out.

Thing is, this one's worn out after only a year, and I've only done about 3000 miles on it.

I like the model, and it's comfortable enough for my type of riding (from commuting ~10 miles, up to middle distance riding ~80-100 miles). They just don't seem to last.

Question to the floor: Anyone have any experience with the original Lady Gel Flow (the model I have) and say, the Diva, or the Sport versions? I'm wondering if they are similar enough to be comfortable, but maybe have a narrower nose which might be less prone to wear?

Alternatively, any other recommendations?

Snarking, fester-twister. Speetling along like a trolley with scorches.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:52 pm 
Honourable Member

Quite prescient, Liz. My Brompton's stock saddle's not bad, in a 1400 mile, sort-of-tolerable, 15-20-mile outings kind of way, but much more than that in one ride and I'm hotching about every few hundred metres. I think I'm probably past the forward-leaning hi-energy position that did me fine when I was young and invulnerable, and it's why you mostly see me tooling around on recumbents nowadays.

Having spent a quick ten minutes in my LBS after work today inspecting Brooks saddles (after failing to buy what I went in for), then getting home and realising that in fact I'm really not at all enjoying my Specialized Litha Gel saddle that I bought for the Brompton yet which has now twice disagreed with me in quite strong terms, I'm sure you won't mind if I lurk a while longer on this thread!

My dust-collecting collection currently includes my 1995 Selle Italia Flite which I loved for years and years and then suddenly couldn't bear, a San Marco Rolls of unknown vintage but with a nicely broken in brown leather top, and this Spesh Lithia Gel that's only done about 250 miles. I should probably sell the lot and find a more comfortable replacement for poor old Speedy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:32 pm 
Incorrigible Member

Mrs H was moaning about her new-ish B17, so I bought her a ladies Brooks replacement. Instant rebellion! She nicked my comfy 1970s B17 and I had to order a new one. :( The one she moaned about I've palmed off on the son in law and the ladies saddle is on the daughter in law's MTB. The good news is she didn't notice the titanium rails on my replacement. :whistle:

Spa Cycles are doing Australian cowhide saddles at about 1/2 Brooks prices if anyone's interested. I'm about to try one out, at that price I can afford to soak it in neatsfoot oil from the tack shop across the way so it should be a carpet slippers job. :smug:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:12 pm 
Lady Provost

redshift wrote:
Question to the floor: Anyone have any experience with the original Lady Gel Flow (the model I have) and say, the Diva, or the Sport versions? I'm wondering if they are similar enough to be comfortable, but maybe have a narrower nose which might be less prone to wear?

Alternatively, any other recommendations?

Not much help here, I'm afraid. Am still using a Terry Tri Gel on my distance bike, but it's wearing out (makes mental note to prod Sam to re-unite me with my spare...) and my tourer has a Lady Gel Flow wot is pretty comfy. They're more or less the same saddle. I think Sam might have recently tried out the Diva.

I tried a Brooks Ladies' Saddle, initially it was great, and then it started to pinch in places a saddle has no right to :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:53 pm 
Upstanding Member

Well, I've decided to try the Brooks Pro S. The 'wearing in' may or may not work for me, but at least I'm unlikely to wear through the leather.

Snarking, fester-twister. Speetling along like a trolley with scorches.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:22 pm 
Man of the Chair

Baggy wrote:
Am still using a Terry Tri Gel on my distance bike, but it's wearing out (makes mental note to prod Sam to re-unite me with my spare...)

Ta-da! It's made it as far as Devon. :faint:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:48 pm 
Lady Provost

AndyGates wrote:
Ta-da! It's made it as far as Devon. :faint:

Yay! A couple more months and it will probably get as far as the bike :grin:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next