The Club

The League's Clubhouse
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Saddle library
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:55 pm 
Archivist

Lady Provost and myself were chatting using some of this infernal mobile telecommunications technology last night. We were discussing the desperate search for the Sorority Holy Grail: the benevolent cloud.

Looking at my own saddle collection, which numbers in the double figures now, I should think, I was wondering whether the Sorority Belles thought that a saddle library would be a good thing. If we all have had problems finding a saddle and each have one or two or more old examples lying around for which we have no used and do not wish to sell on Ebay, would we be willing to donate them to a central saddle library, so that other members may borrow said saddles in order to ascertain whether to shell out hard-earned dosh on such a model?

Sam

http://quantumcoyote.com
"Ya'd think we could just attracts ants, like normal people."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:05 pm 
Erect Member

Int'resting idea. I don't have enough of the things to really participate fully unfortunately.
I think the CTC should be doing something like this. Thing of all the saddles they could gather.
I still haven't decided whether or not I like my Selle Italia Lady wotsit yet. It's firm, I'll give it that. Think I'll have to do a decent distance to really find out it's true colours. I don't hate it yet though so that's a start I suppose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:45 pm 
Right Honourable Member

Sooper plan I think. I only have 2 saddles at the moment, one cheap-and-nasty which I wouldn't dream of inflicting on anyone, and my Specialized Women's Geometry one which I'm getting on well with at the moment. I can quite happily do about 20 miles offroad on it without discomfort.

What would we do about P&P? Are you in need of volunteers to administer the library?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:05 pm 
Erect Member

Obviously they would need cleaning after, um, "use".

I would be very happy to lick them clean then polish them with some of my best "saddle polish" afterwards.

Ladies only of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:33 pm 
Honourable Member

This is a blummin' great idea. I don't have any saddles to contribute either (yet) I'm afraid, but, yes! Go for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:46 pm 
Lady Provost

Mrs Pingu wrote:
I still haven't decided whether or not I like my Selle Italia Lady wotsit yet. It's firm, I'll give it that.

It is indeed firm :shock: As of tomorrow mine is on it's way to Ravenbait to try out. My Terry Tri Gel seems to be working out quite well so far. Almost identical to the Selle Italia, but just a teeny bit squishier....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:04 am 
Archivist

OK.

I shall do the necessary this weekend and set up a saddle library for Belles of the Sorority to try saddles before purchase.

I propose that the borrowing period should be two weeks or 50 miles, whichever is the sooner - this should ensure that the saddles don't get worn out too quickly, as I am not replacing them just for the sake of it!

I reckon it probably costs a couple of quid to post a saddle, and I don't get paid enough to fund this out of the goodness of my heart, so suggestions for postage cost recompense would be welcome.

I'll create a catalogue including things like measurements, whether a saddle is flat, concave, convex, thick, thin, firm, soft etc, and get some photos from as many angles as possible. Obviously, if a saddle is no longer available to buy I'll try to find the closest analogue that is.

If any Belles have any old or unwanted saddles they would care to donate, that would be splendid.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:10 am 
Erect Member

Ravenbait wrote:
I reckon it probably costs a couple of quid to post a saddle, and I don't get paid enough to fund this out of the goodness of my heart, so suggestions for postage cost recompense would be welcome.
Sam

Might I humbly suggest that a website be set up where members can, for a fee, peruse pictures of these saddles being tested?

Should the pictures be done properly it could be quite a moneyspinner :wink: :shock:

I would be more than happy to photograph said testing (purely in order to keep costs down of course)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:14 am 
Archivist

What do you mean by "properly", Zipperhead, oh man of my dreams?

Can I guess :-s ?

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:44 pm 
Erect Member

Ravenbait wrote:

Well dearest, in order to avoid chafing on a ride (such as you yourself have recently experienced) it's necessary that the fit of the saddle is examined properly. Of course if there is any fabric in the way I shall not be able to properly examine for, er, fitness. So it will be necessary for you (or any other belles) to sit naked on the saddle and try and simulate riding motion whilst I examine very closely (loose lips cost lives and all that).

I'll treat myself to a new camera and we can just leave it on full auto (I myself may also be on full auto).

I'll also have to clean the saddles afterwards in case there's any sweat or other dampness present.

So, with an archive of these pictures, putting a small sample of the on a links site will soon have the punters rolling in.

How will we satisfy demand then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:57 pm 
Retained Solicitor

Zipperhead wrote:
Ravenbait wrote:

Well dearest, in order to avoid chafing on a ride (such as you yourself have recently experienced) it's necessary that the fit of the saddle is examined properly. Of course if there is any fabric in the way I shall not be able to properly examine for, er, fitness. So it will be necessary for you (or any other belles) to sit naked on the saddle and try and simulate riding motion whilst I examine very closely (loose lips cost lives and all that).

I'll treat myself to a new camera and we can just leave it on full auto (I myself may also be on full auto).

I'll also have to clean the saddles afterwards in case there's any sweat or other dampness present.

So, with an archive of these pictures, putting a small sample of the on a links site will soon have the punters rolling in.

Have you heard of Operation Ore?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:17 pm 
Archivist

Zipperhead wrote:

:-k

Am I to understand that you wish me to sit upon each test saddle in turn, sans garmentation, so that you can examone the relevant area thoroughly for signs of high pressure areas and undesirable rubbing?

Quote:

Do you think there's a great deal of demand for undesirable rubbing?

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:23 pm 
Archivist

And I would never have loose lips.

Just welcoming ones.

:hotlips:

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:15 pm 
Erect Member

Ravenbait wrote:
Am I to understand that you wish me to sit upon each test saddle in turn, sans garmentation, so that you can examone the relevant area thoroughly for signs of high pressure areas and undesirable rubbing?

Indeed. Should I not be able to see the pressure points in sufficient detail I have a new (Patent Pending) technique which for now I shall call "Human Face Saddle, a bike ride was never as pleasurable"

Quote:
Quote:

Do you think there's a great deal of demand for undesirable rubbing?

Pleasurable rubbing only! I meant a great demand for lithographs. We even have to use some of the new fangled moving lithographs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:48 pm 
Honourable Member

but what of the saddles themselves? Transformed from humble appendages to objets d'art. Would they not themselves be highly 'collectable'