The Club

The League's Clubhouse
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Back
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:14 pm 
Honourable Member

Ah, I hadn't discovered YACF, so that's where all the C+/ACF refugees went!

I did stop by ACF, but it seems to have been reduced to Sam talking at length to himself. I was reminded of Charles Foster Kane wandering about in the empty, echoing halls of Xanadu rueing the life he lost.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:34 am 
Archivist

They're split between YACF and cyclechat. There are a few to be found in both.

Sam

http://quantumcoyote.com
"Ya'd think we could just attracts ants, like normal people."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:58 pm 
Honourable Member

Ravenbait wrote:

Sam

Oh dear, a schism. I have been away a long time.

Tried riding today. Took the recumbent as that is the only bike I have in fully rideable condition at the moment. I don't mind but the attention you invariably get on a 'bent was not what I had in mind for a first actual ride (not counting turbo) in nearly a year.

It could have been worse, I almost got to the top of Whits Hill before blowing up spectacularly and having to lie down on the pavement for five minutes. Still, I probably made it up four fifths of the length of it so perhaps I'm not as unfit as I thought.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:18 am 
Erect Member

Not a schism, really. I think that the outcome of the last upheavals was the coming of better relations between all fora. Dual, triple, or multiple personality disorder nationalities is less of a problem.

Having had to deal with a malicious stalker impersonating me (very badly) on some fora, I am now a member of yacf, Cyclechat, LFGSS, CTC & LCC fora, Singletrack (which I visit but rarely), and Bikeradar, which I get to pretty rarely. It's not a problem as I see it. Each forum has its own character and function, and we rub along pretty well together. But that's just my view as a webtart.

The Clubhouse is a special space, and I always log on here before starting work in the morning.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:52 am 
Incorrigible Member

I'm mainly on here, CTC and Cycling Weakly, I gave Cyclechat a go but it doesn't gell somehow. CTC has the best techie section.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:30 pm 
Archivist

Aeroflash wrote:
Ravenbait wrote:

Sam

Oh dear, a schism. I have been away a long time.

It's not really a schism. You're harking back to the bad old days when members of one forum were discouraged from talking about the mere existence of other ones, and here we did our best to maintain a bubble neutrality. Asteroid M is long gone, the Sentinels have destroyed Genosha, and everyone left sort of rubs along with minimal friction.

BikeRadar is a vast zombie wasteland polite people tend to avoid. CycleChat reminds me of the old C+ forum before the Swiss Cats and I find it easy-going. YACF is a bit more like ACF, and not just in colour scheme -- imagine that there was a benevolent dictatorship and it turned out the dictator wasn't all that benevolent when the population disagreed with him, so the population left and formed a new nation, leaving him ranting and raving to himself in an otherwise empty throne room. They took the bits they liked, which was everything except their leader, and left him to it.

I'm a member of LFGSS but never go there because I'm so far north it seems silly. I'm a member of the CTC forum but I don't go there either. There's only so much time in the day. I occasionally pop my head up at road.cc, am a member of Edinburgh Fixed Gear and the Edinburgh CityCycling board but don't get to either of those much, either, because I've got too much to do to keep up with them all.

Quote:
It could have been worse, I almost got to the top of Whits Hill before blowing up spectacularly and having to lie down on the pavement for five minutes. Still, I probably made it up four fifths of the length of it so perhaps I'm not as unfit as I thought.

You'll be grand in a couple of months if you keep at it. It's surprising how quickly it all comes back. Just like riding a bike, really.... :c+blush:

Sam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:36 pm 
Archivist

And thanks, Clarion. I know we're small, and quiet, and not frequented all that much, but that's okay. I've always said that this isn't supposed to be a cycling forum per se, more a place for people who happen to share a love of cycling to come and hang out and chat about anything they want to chat about. It's a subtle distinction, perhaps, but, I think, an important one.

Sam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:56 pm 
Honourable Member

Thanks all! :grin:

TBH I can't wait to get out again, embarrassment and near-upchuck notwithstanding. It's annoying that finally I have got up the nerve to start riding again, and it has coincided with a period of 'proper job'. I was working as a freelance writer and editor since I left the NHS full time last November, which was beautifully flexible. I've been hired by the NHS again for six weeks cover though, and don't feel like I can just go for a ride during the day at the moment, even during the days I am working at home.

Good to hear that there has been a detente in Bikeforumland - YACF instantly seemed very familiar, which makes sense in the context of its development, but I will give some of the others a go too. And continue to hang around here of course!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:15 am 
Honourable Member

Well, I had another go at that hill at the weekend, and made it all the way up! This time I actually made it home before collapsing, and the 'vomit status critical' only lasted around five minutes. Roll on this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:33 pm 
Incorrigible Member

If you want "Vomit Status Critical" may I recommend Winnats Pass?. Even No1 Son threw up at the top of that and he's (allegedly) a superfit military type. The hillclimb course up Curbar Gap isn't quite as steep but it's a bloody sight longer. :bleurgh: :faint:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:41 pm 
Honourable Member

The idea is for 'vomit status nominal' if at all possible...

The last hillclimb I entered wasn't my finest hour either - the person reporting it for the website assumed from my time that I had suffered a puncture. I hadn't.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:59 am 
Erect Member

I rather suspect that, should I enter a hillclimb, the reporter would have packed up and gone home before I wheezed into view.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:05 pm 
Incorrigible Member

Talking of hillclimbs, the season starts in October IIRC. Time to check on the events list for the Peak methinks. Monsal Head, Beeley etc are usually fun to watch.