The Club

The League's Clubhouse
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Back
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:32 pm 
Honourable Member

Hello all. It's been so long I thought I should put a post in the newbies' area. It's been many years since I wandered the cycling forums - C+, ACF and then this one. But I got a bad back and then Southern Trains started persecuting me, I became as fat as Wyman Manderley crossed with Eric Pickles. I acquired a recumbent and moved house several times and got out of riding almost altogether. But anyway, I feel the call of the whooshing spokes and indexy clicks once more. I have two lovely steel MDT frames I plan to build up, but I need encouragement to stop me falling off the cycling wagon again before I have fully mounted up. So, I am back, calling on ancient friendships and fellowtravellers for figurative arms-round-shoulders and the company of the like-minded. So here I am...

Post subject: Re: Back
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:49 pm 
Lady Provost

Hello again! Good to see you're still around. Now, get on your bike before we have to spank you :-$ \:D/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:52 am 
Upstanding Member

Blast fro the past :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:11 am 
Honourable Member

Baggy wrote:
Hello again! Good to see you're still around. Now, get on your bike before we have to spank you :-$ \:D/

Tempting... But the bike wins I think :grin:

Valiant wrote:
Blast fro the past :)

Back at cha!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:16 am 
Erect Member

Hi there. Support from here too. Getting back on the bike is the third best thing I ever did. And the other two were excellent!

I note you mention Southern bloody Trains. I wonder if that means you are anywhere close to us (SW London/Surrey)? Maybe meet up for a ride once in a while if you're in reach?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:35 am 
Honourable Member

clarion wrote:
Hi there. Support from here too. Getting back on the bike is the third best thing I ever did. And the other two were excellent!

I note you mention Southern bloody Trains. I wonder if that means you are anywhere close to us (SW London/Surrey)? Maybe meet up for a ride once in a while if you're in reach?

Hi clarion, thanks for your kind words. I used to live in Lingfield, Surrey and had a great daily routine worked out where I took my bike (fixie, road bike or TT machine) on the train to work in London, rode to work from London Bridge then on the way home, got off the train at Oxted and rode the rest of the way. Then Southern banned everything except folders at all but the most restricted hours. My routine fell away and I started suffering from a prolapsed disc to boot which took a couple of years to sort out. I've moved since then though, and now live in Southampton so I am probably a bit far away but never say never.

I must see about posting some images of my new frames* as they really are spiffing, and if I put them online it will be more impetus to get building.

Your best and second best things must be really good!

*I say new, I bought them from a friend about five years ago and they weren't new then either, though they have never been ridden the poor things. They are both MDT/Argos Reynolds 853 lopro frames of the sort Stuart Dangerfield used to ride, one with horizontal TT and one with sloping.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:52 pm 
Right Honourable Member

Aeroflash wrote:
I've moved since then though, and now live in Southampton so I am probably a bit far away but never say never.

Whereabouts? (Just being nosey! I grew up in Southampton but only get back there very rarely)

S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:11 pm 
Honourable Member

At the top of Woodmill Lane, in the Bitterne Park area. Just on the top of a very big hill...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:53 pm 
Right Honourable Member

Know where you mean! Some of the hills on that side of the river are far bigger than they have any right to be!
I used to live in Woolston. Once the Itchen Bridge was built, I either had that to negotiate or one of the hills up from the river to get home. On a 3 speed sit up and beg Rudge!

S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:47 pm 
Honourable Member

SteveC wrote:
Know where you mean! Some of the hills on that side of the river are far bigger than they have any right to be!
I used to live in Woolston. Once the Itchen Bridge was built, I either had that to negotiate or one of the hills up from the river to get home. On a 3 speed sit up and beg Rudge!

S

Ouch! Indeed, it's all short, steep stuff apart from Woodmill Lane itself which goes on, and on, and on but is only a moderate gradient and a great surface - almost like a little Mont Ventoux. OK, a very little Mont Ventoux. I can't wait to try a descent.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:12 pm 
Archivist

AEROFLASH!!!!!!

:heartbounce: :bounce: :cloud9:

Where have you BEEN?

Mwah!

Sam

http://quantumcoyote.com
"Ya'd think we could just attracts ants, like normal people."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:43 pm 
Honourable Member

Hey Sam, how's tricks?

Where have I been? Well, Tonbridge, then Southampton via A SPECIAL HELL CREATED ENTIRELY FOR ME BY ANDREW LANSLEY :cry:

Still, I got out of the NHS. But now I am back on an interim basis. Something about eating and paying the rent.

But more importantly I will be a cyclist once again. Damn you, Lansley, you can't take my wheels from me!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:46 pm 
Secretary

Welcome back! :grin:

<theme tune from The Twilight Zone>

Must admit this is a bit spooky, as your name came up in an on-line conversation elsewhere a few days ago. :shock:

</theme tune from The Twilight Zone>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:20 pm 
Honourable Member

spesh wrote:
Welcome back! :grin:

Must admit this is a bit spooky, as your name came up in an on-line conversation elsewhere a few days ago. :shock:

Thanks spesh!

Um, what was the conversation? 8-[

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:45 pm 
Archivist

It was a blast from the past thread at YACF. Still no word of Macleach, though :c+sad: .

Sam

http://quantumcoyote.com
"Ya'd think we could just attracts ants, like normal people."