The Club

The League's Clubhouse
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:20 pm 
... there appears to be an intruder.

He claims to be a member and is only *lurking* at present, but, silly of me to be so fussy, but he doesn't seem quite 'right' for the Club.

Can you investigate, dear? I suspect he's on the most recent records of members...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:41 am 
...and now there's another one.

He *smells bad*

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:09 pm 
Incorrigible Member

Possibly related(?) The forum is very slow the last couple of days and I've had a couple of timeouts, the last one showed a flag for just a couple of seconds saying "General Error, please inform forum admin, Jarvis @....." Plus it logged me out overnight, not a problem as such but it usually indicates a spanner in the works.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:08 pm 
Archivist

It only gets slow in the afternoon, indicating some sort of load on the servers from the US. It might not be here but on one of the other sites hosted on the same server. If I ever win the lottery then I will pay for a VPS and Jarvis and I will move the Club onto it, but until then we're pretty much at the mercy of whatever traffic is doing to the server.

I'm loath to start approving the deletion of users on the basis of them looking a bit funny. If they pop up and have links to obvious spam sites in their sigs or their profiles that's one thing, but joining the Club and then not posting is hardly grounds for instant dismemberment.

I agree that obviously something isn't quite right somewhere. I'm intending to update the forum software this weekend, when I've got time to run a back-up. Hopefully that will provide us with more robust security. Checking the membership list there are only two members who have arrived recently and that doesn't really seem to be a cause for blaming procesed meat merchants on the board's rather lacklustre performance.

Jarvis and I are keeping an eye on it and if we see anything obviously untowards we'll deal with it and/or let you know.

Sam

http://quantumcoyote.com
"Ya'd think we could just attracts ants, like normal people."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:18 pm 
Incorrigible Member

Thankyou m'dear. It's taking 3-4 minutes between pressing a button and anything happening. This started .... maybe Tuesday and it's getting worse. As you say it must be the server, CTC have more or less the same software and there's no problem with that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:01 pm 
Archivist

We've changed the security so that new members have to be approved by a mod, and that might help if the board was being slowed down by spam bots trying to get through the humanity-test. I dunno. It seems to be working fine now and it wasn't earlier.

:eh?:

Sam

http://quantumcoyote.com
"Ya'd think we could just attracts ants, like normal people."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:17 pm 
Incorrigible Member

Bingo! It seems to be perfect now, best it's been all week.
Pity I'm off to the pub tonight! :evilchuffy:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:23 am 
Secretary

Ravenbait wrote:
We've changed the security so that new members have to be approved by a mod, and that might help if the board was being slowed down by spam bots trying to get through the humanity-test. I dunno. It seems to be working fine now and it wasn't earlier.

:eh?:

Sam

I think I've spotted a prime candidate for a big shipment of forum registration fail tonight - being named after forum/blog spamming malware was just asking for deletion with extreme prejudice.

:c+tongue: :evilchuffy: :evilchuffy:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:37 pm 
The Butler

From the number of approval requests landing in the staff pigeonhole, one can only imagine that there may well have been a less than positive relationship between the numbers of tradesmen and the unfortunate loss of ambience conducive to peaceful discussion. I have taken the liberty of deleting approximately 200 inactive membership accounts and will continue to monitor performance.

Thank you for your patience.