The Club

The League's Clubhouse
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Don't Panic!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:16 pm 
Secretary

I'm going to be offline until sometime on Monday, so if any processed meat vendors or other such undesirables actually post anything, can folks please ping Ravenbait so that she can terminate with extreme prejudice.

Best Regards and all that jazz.

Post subject: Re: Don't Panic!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:53 am 
Retained Solicitor

spesh wrote:
I'm going to be offline until sometime on Monday, so if any processed meat vendors or other such undesirables actually post anything, can folks please ping Ravenbait so that she can terminate with extreme prejudice.

Best Regards and all that jazz.

at present it seems that even those processed meat vendors are avoiding using this site let alone the members

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:15 am 
Right Honourable Member

I'm here. Just morose. In this corner. Just drinkin', not talkin'. Normal service will be resumed shortly, I hope.

I hate employment. I would be so much more useful if I were filthy rich, dispensing charity and graciousness in all directions.

And I could cycle whenever I bleedin' well like.

Harumph.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:04 am 
Erect Member

If I were filthy rich, then I would split my week between cycling and educating young ladies. Obviously in winter when it's cold and wet I would spend more time in the warm (and wet) halls of academe, and in summer it would be hard to find time to fit enough cycling in.

I would be saner and mankind would be better for it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:43 pm 
Secretary

spen666 wrote:
at present it seems that even those processed meat vendors are avoiding using this site let alone the members

They are still joining - abeit briefly in most cases - it's just that their current modus operandi is to get their presence on as many message boards and fora as possible, in order to maximise their advertising potential. :evil:

By not posting, the spambots are trying to avoid the attentions of admin. Of course, that doesn't do them any good on the fora where the membership lists are checked on a regular basis... :twisted:

The user names of some of the spambots that I've deleted have produced tens of thousands of hits when I do a websearch... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:39 pm 
Archivist

Err...

Please to be bearing in mind that we're pretty much offline until we get broadband installed at the new place.

If you desperately need me to attend to something, send me a PM or email me from a recognisable address and put "PRIORITY TAG" in the subject line.

I thank yew.

Sam

http://quantumcoyote.com
"Ya'd think we could just attracts ants, like normal people."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:55 pm 
Right Honourable Member

spesh wrote:
They are still joining - abeit briefly in most cases - it's just that their current modus operandi is to get their presence on as many message boards and fora as possible, in order to maximise their advertising potential. :evil:

By not posting, the spambots are trying to avoid the attentions of admin. Of course, that doesn't do them any good on the fora where the membership lists are checked on a regular basis... :twisted:

...but what good does merely registering do. I run a forum (folk music related) and I get the usual clutch of obvious bot registrations. However, as they never try to put a web page into their profile and never post (can't in many cases as they don't give a valid email address to get their password) I don't see their point. Am I missing something?

S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:33 pm 
Secretary

The key to the spammers registering on lots of fora is that I think they are relying on the search engine sites' own crawlerbots to pick up on the websites in their profiles.

Then when somebody does a web search for say, a particular drug, there's a good chance that a spammer's website will feature highly in the several thousand results that the search generates.

Steve, I can't comment on why the attempted spammers on your forum are such rank amateurs... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:15 pm 
Retained Solicitor

Zipperhead wrote:
If I were filthy rich, then I would ...

you're halfway there- you are filthy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:45 pm 
Erect Member

spen666 wrote:
Zipperhead wrote:
If I were filthy rich, then I would ...