The Club

The League's Clubhouse
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:29 pm 
Dumbrunner

A skid-stop is more flashy than useful. A better way of slowing down on a fix is just standing up and resisting, but since when have I been sensible?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:59 pm 
Dumbrunner

Somebody think of the tyres! I have no desire to skid, however flashy. I'm feel assured having brakes front and back, on the few occasions I've really need to stop hard I find I automatically stop pedalling too, the result is a kind of little juddery skid until the brakes really bite, but I stop quick. The scariest fixed moments I've had are hurtling downhill, going something like 190rpm, trying to dab some speed off with the brakes and having the back wheel bounce up and down! You really don't want that happening when you're tired and it's dark and wet and bendy!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:55 pm 
Dumbrunner

BBC Weather for Saturday night is ; 12 mph westerly, 11degrees, and light rain.

maybe my expectations have been lowered by the last two years, but I'd settle for that!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:12 pm 
Dumbrunner

I'd settle for anything with a westerly. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:30 pm 
Archivist

^This.

Seriously.

Sam

http://quantumcoyote.com
"Ya'd think we could just attracts ants, like normal people."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:40 pm 
Dumbrunner

After two years in a row with Met Office severe weather warnings, we are no longer very fussy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:26 pm 
Erect Member

It's all been very westerly in dear old london village. Hope they've saved some of it to speed you all on your way.

Now. Are you sure you want to do this? Wouldn't you rather put your feet up and have a nice cup of tea?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:46 pm 
That's *Mr* 86 to you

If past rides are anything to go by, I think I’d do anything to be able to sit down with my feet up and have a mug of tea at 2am. We’re no wise!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:53 am 
Man of the Chair

Maybe a nice thermos of tea. It'll warm up the whisky (and keep off the creeping hypothermia - seriously, Everything Is Different Here, it's like a Planet of the Hats only the hat is wild and woolly weather).

Must get some nice gel shorts before the off. And maybe a kite.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:40 pm 
That's *Mr* 86 to you

Well, I’ve got my bike on the road. I’ve just been for a short ride to see how I got on, and I suspect that I could really do with having ridden it more than 12 miles in the last 10 months... I could struggle with that fairly large gear, and I hope I don’t hold everybody up. The bike is probably too big for me anyhow, plus I hurt my back earlier in the year, and I can feel a strain when I’m riding, and my legs and knees aren’t as strong as they were last year. I think I’ll just have to try and ride ‘easy’ to lessen the strain, and hope for a howling tailwind! I had ordered a new chain to allow me to run a lighter gear, but I’ve received an email from the supplier saying that they’re out of stock! I’ve bodged a couple of spare links from an old chain, but the two are different makes, and the attachment pins are a wee bit different. If I really need to gear down then I might be able to do something on the ride, but it will be a fiddly job (I’m not a mechanic).

Tonight was what I call ‘Audax Weather’. It was blowing a hoollie, and started to pour down. Not exactly summer. The only thing that encouraged me was that it was a westerly! I flew back home!

I stopped to see if I could help a guy whose rear mech had sheared off and taken out a spoke or two. He was part of a supported group doing LEJOG (on their 7th day and 800th mile). I couldn’t help, but told him where the best bike shops were.

I still have loads to do – clothes to wash, camping gear to look out, food to buy, and van to pack etc. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day. I hope everything is quiet on the work front!

Sam, I hope you got my PM with my mobile number. I haven’t got anyone’s, but hopefully I’ll just see you at Dumbarton, all being well. I’ll probably try to get a slightly earlier train than the one you’re likely to be on, just to give myself a bit of a cushion in case I miss one of the connecting trains. I might get to Dumbarton at around 6:30pm, so it’ll give me a bit of time to get cold and worry myself sick...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:15 am 
Dumbrunner

You don't have to bring a fix.

My bike is all prepared, and my waterproof is drying out, ready to get reproofed tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:43 am 
Man of the Chair

Must nikwax my skin...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:18 pm 
Dumbrunner

24hrs to go and the forecast is 10mph westerley and dry from about 10pm. :shock:

Surely not??

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:47 pm 
Man of the Chair

SSSSH! Don't mention it! [-X

I can smell the beach from here. 70" and 24" for the tough bits here. It's the way forward.

(86? That's a velodrome gear... you're not Hoy in disguise?)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:54 pm 
Upstanding Member

Good luck, gang.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next