The Club

The League's Clubhouse
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:39 am 
Erect Member

When Charlotte, Jonathan and I went off to Richmond park for the VCC Matchlit ride.

No electric lights? Alright then we'll use pretty glowsticks

Or glowsticks and a gas lamp

Whilst my trike drew no adverse comments (well it was made in the previous century), Jonathan was ok on a 50 year old Raleigh, the organizer got very sniffy with Charlotte, she blogged it here

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:31 pm 
Glowtastic! :grin:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:53 pm 
Man of the Chair

Must... fix... acetylene... lamp!

Was anyone using one?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:53 pm 
Shame they were petty about a replica. Especially with all the effort on a gas lamp, dress code etc which are fabulous.

Not sure going on a high tech bike next time is justified - it's just being confrontational, when tipping up on the replica again makes a sensible point.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:10 am 
Erect Member

AndyGates wrote:
Must... fix... acetylene... lamp!

Was anyone using one?

I think there was at least one. Jonathan said that he could smell one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:14 am 
Erect Member

Pagan wrote:
Shame they were petty about a replica. Especially with all the effort on a gas lamp, dress code etc which are fabulous.

Yes, chatting to my dad last night, he used to be a member of the VCC, but said that he left because of their attitude, both to bicycles and members clothing.

Quote:
Not sure going on a high tech bike next time is justified - it's just being confrontational, when tipping up on the replica again makes a sensible point.

I think the best thing is to have our own ride. I know that the VCC pay the park £70, presumably for 3rd party insurance, but if we just did it by invitation only, on the basis that if you crash and hurt yourself the rest of us will just laugh and ride on, it needn't cost anything (the park is open to pedestrians and cyclists all night long)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:47 am 
Erect Member

Except during culling, of course.

Sounds like a great idea, though. Riding through RP at night is as good as it gets in that there london village.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:08 pm 
Erect Member

I was thinking a bit earlier in the year than during the cull (or the VCC ride). A nice warm summer's evening would be lovely. A picnic on the polo ground afterwards, shagging in the woods for them that wants it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:23 pm 
clarion wrote:
Riding through RP at night is as good as it gets in that there london village.

Gosh. You remind me *just* how grateful I am to live looking across what my neighbour describes as 'the finest view in Bedfordshire' and half a mile from a road.

Zipperhead wrote:
I was thinking a bit earlier in the year than during the cull (or the VCC ride). A nice warm summer's evening would be lovely. A picnic on the polo ground afterwards, shagging in the woods for them that wants it.

You, sir, *understand* things! :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:52 pm 
Erect Member

Zipperhead wrote:
Pagan wrote:

Yes, chatting to my dad last night, he used to be a member of the VCC, but said that he left because of their attitude, both to bicycles and members clothing.

Quote:

I think the best thing is to have our own ride. I know that the VCC pay the park £70, presumably for 3rd party insurance, but if we just did it by invitation only, on the basis that if you crash and hurt yourself the rest of us will just laugh and ride on, it needn't cost anything (the park is open to pedestrians and cyclists all night long)

That snotty attitude as displayed by some of VCC is one I've seen in time trialling too - usually from those who think they are the 'elder statesmen/women' of the sport. It's awful. It's unnecessary, unwelcome and needs to be dispelled by 180psi up their jacksie with a track pump as it's positively discouraging to new folk showing an interest.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:36 pm 
So let me get this straight, Waffles...

You're suggesting that we take Graham's idea to VCC and see if a spot of shagging in the woods after loosens them up a bit?? :shock:

I am up for the whole dress up bit (as per Aunty C's rather jaunty look, or as per the plot that Emilio and I once hatched about corsets and knickerbockers - whichever suits the particular participant's fancy) a bit of a frolic on steam punkery of any kind of quasi vintage or spectacularly 'dressed' velocipedal device and then some significant picknickery and entertainment...

It feels 'right' somehow, that the League picks up the gauntlet on this one. London might not be the place, though, given the location of the membership. How about York or something? Suitably redolent, but also midway for many. Although possibly we need to think wider so that our West Country bumpkins, err members, can be involved???