The Club

The League's Clubhouse
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:12 pm 
That's *Mr* 86 to you

Okay, perhaps I ought to have pinned this to the Noticeboard, but I’m not sure I have a heart, never mind a lonely one. Anyway, I’m sure Jarvis or our good Archivist will move it toot sweet if appropriate.

I’ve been feeling fidgety (and not a little sleepy) since the Dumb Run, and 2010’s edition seems a long way off, so I’ve been wondering; are there any other planned events for this year in these hot and humid northern climes?

On a related note, I’m thinking about doing a ride following the route of the Etape Caledonia. It’s an 80-mile circuit from Pitlochry out to Loch Rannoch. I have no idea what the terrain is like, but I’ve read that it’s not too hilly. I’m not doing anything too strenuous or serious this year (the Dumb Run was an exception!) so would hope to ride it on a nice day, go slow enough to keep a sharp lookout for any stray carpet tacks, and include plenty of tea and cake stops. I thought I’d ask to see if anyone was interested in coming along. Please note, this invitation has nothing to do with the fact that Loch Rannoch is fairly remote, although the ability to wield a spoke key and replace chewblurrs WOULD be an advantage.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:33 pm 
Archivist

It's not exactly flat, either. I was out there last month. Schiehallion is up there, you know.

Maybe this year Will will get around to organising his Friday Night Ride to along the Coast down to Berwick or Lindisfarne or wherever it was supposed to be.

Sam

http://quantumcoyote.com
"Ya'd think we could just attracts ants, like normal people."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:25 pm 
That's *Mr* 86 to you

I think I read the route described as ‘along the flanks of Schiehallion’ which has lulled me into thinking of gentle slopes rather than hill climbs. It seems to be one of those rides which some people say is hilly, and others describe as ‘easy’. However, I’ve also seen 50mph+ descents mentioned, so it’s obviously not flat!

I think I’ll just turn up one day and ride it without a recce. It looks like there are a few ways to cut the route short if it all proves to be too much.